Thursday, October 5, 2017

Experimental: Mine

This is an experimental piece. It falls somewhere between poetry and prose and it deals with the idea of author ownership. There are things in this poem that are just for me to understand and love. I'm not trying so hard to convey a concrete idea/image to you the reader, so maybe you will not find one. Maybe you will just be carried on by the words and pictures I did use and feel a question or an emotion. Maybe you will hate it, and that's okay too.


Mine

An inventory:
Two lips indifferent blue
Eight ceiling stars soaked in glow in the dark paint
23 typos in a story about slugs
One newt or else a salamander or snake                                     I keep him in a safety deposit box
I label him with red pen
I organize her into star charts  

A decade old and I made the solar system—foam sitting on a dark matter poster board. Twelve and I made the ocean—earth fired and glazed into waves. 19 and I cannot fold an origami woman nor do I have the paper to begin. I substitute skin and follicles with a red hot itch. My face is three layers deep.

I need to peel out the sheet in the middle that fizzes like a hot tub when the jets are off. I need to soak the boiling oil out her pores. He wants ice that is cold enough to stop indifferent lips from moving or changing hues. But who do I tell.
 
Plastic stars don’t get to shine without the sun, so make paper ones instead and fill them with words that mean sounds that mean nothing unless they get heard. Wonder if you accidentally put them in place of the salamander. Wonder if safety deposit boxes are sound proof. Worry that you lost the key so far from skeleton but so deep within her bones. It landed with four of the ceiling stars, a pinch of salt, and a thumb tack.

Her banker doesn’t know the combination. Nobody has a spare. They don’t understand what is locked away. She signed the dotted line in a foreign language but it was still binding. She never meant to keep so many things.

She is not origami neatly folded. She is blown into glass at 2000 degrees and capped by the strawberry jam lid of a mason jar. Paper pokes into her edges.

Inventory:

24 typos in a story about a girl and all of them written in invisible ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment